Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Re-purpose: Re-use

I would replace the old industrial buildings that are no longer in use with a big park. This park would be aimed toward the college students but would not be excluding families or other friendly people in the community. Aside from the small playground area on the corner of Springdale Ct and Spring Garden St, there are no parks (that I have seen at least). The park would have green recreation fields that could be used for sun bathing, a leisure game of catch, or a somewhat organized game of kickball. A trail around the open area would be nice, and maybe some benches too. The park would be a space where students could go to read in the sun, instead of putting a blanket out next to College Ave and trying to read there as everyone passes.
I think there needs to be a Wal-Mart put in the old industrial area. Maybe I am spoiled and used to the small town life, but I only had to drive 5 minutes to get to Wal-Mart at home. I thought coming to a bigger city everything would be closer, but Wal- Mart is much farther away. In my adventures off campus I have not seen any big stores where you buy your basic needs. With UNCG, Greensboro College, NC A&T, and Bennett College all in the same area there are many people who would benefit from a closer Wal-Mart. If I need something and I cannot find it, or the right kind of it on campus I have to find a friend who has a car here who has the time and is willing to drive me fifteen minutes to get to the cheapest, most of the time easiest place to find any item, Wal-Mart. I assume I could ride a bus, but I have not figured out the GTA, and would not want to try to on my own.
Along the same lines as Wal-Mart, I think a big grocery store would be beneficial to the area. The same reasons apply here as with the Wal-Mart: lack of one close by, proximity to students, and convenience for community as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. You have a wonderful idea about a park and I love it, we need more parks that allow for students and families to have a place to relax and enjoy. But... Wally world??? No thanks (hahah) we have one on Wendover and off of Battleground two is enough for me maybe there could be some local stores put in???

    ReplyDelete
  2. the idea of a park is a strong one. have you ever thought about what wherewithal would be required to achieve reserving part of the city as an open space might cost in the present and in the future. the reason that there are relatively small numbers of urban parks results from the value of individual property owners ahead of community benefit. so, where a park DOES exist, it seems that the community has set aside and traded off some valuable property for the greater community. what would it take along lee street?

    ReplyDelete